How to File a Claim Against a New York Municipality

If you or a loved one has been injured on city property or by a local government-owned vehicle, there is a way for you to fight City Hall when it comes to being compensated for your injuries.  In New York, this process begins with filing a Notice of Claim – and you must do it within 90 days of the injury or you forfeit your right to bring suit.

New York personal injury law allows for citizens to file a Notice of Claim if they have been injured while using public transportation, had a slip and fall accident on local government property, suffered from medical malpractice at a city-owned hospital or clinic, were injured by a vehicle driven by a local government employee, and other instances of personal injury that occurred on public property.

Once you have filed a Notice of Claim, the city, town or government agency has 30 days to request either a hearing or a medical exam.  If that request is made, a lawsuit cannot be filed until the hearing or medical exam is concluded.

A Notice of Claim must include important details about the accident, including the exact location, date, time and a description of how the incident occurred.  The Notice of Claim must be notarized and filed with the public agency or local government entity named in the claim; each city, town and municipal agency has its own designated office for filing a Notice of Claim, usually the Town Clerk, Town Attorney or – in New York City – the City Comptroller.

Remember that in order to preserve your right to pursue compensation for injuries caused on public property or through the negligence of a local government agency or employee, it is critical that you file a Notice of Claim within 90 days of your accident.  We can help.

Recent Posts


We are pleased to announce that our founding partner Michael F. Kremins has been named President of the Jewish Lawyers ...
Learn More